Let’s talk about what’s possible. Share your best tech with the world using @BestBuy .
The Associate Director of Government Affairs supports the company’s federal and state legislative and regulatory advocacy with a focus on social issues, including civil rights and equality, immigration, climate change, and others, to achieve meaningful and sustainable reforms to positively impact the communities we serve while ensuring business success and profitability. This person seeks legislative and regulatory solutions eliminating risks and maximizing opportunities to support the business and represents the company before key policymakers at various levels of government. They actively engages with internal business partners and external stakeholders on issues and company initiatives, and regularly interacts with company executives, elected officials and their staff, trade associations and other stakeholders. The position is based in Washington, D.C.
What will you do?
Representation and Relationship Management:
- Under the direction of the Head of Federal Affairs, represent company with government audiences. Track, monitor and report on priority issues. Formulate and provide input on messaging to policymakers related to Best Buy public policy agenda. Draft and give testimony, directly lobby, make presentations, and provide written and oral communications to policymakers and regulators. Assist in the preparation of Best Buy executives for presentations and meetings with members of Congress and other key government officials.
- Assist with Best Buy’s participation in political organizations, trade associations and other key stakeholder groups effectively.
- Be the primary point of contact with key congressional member organizations, including the Congressional Black Caucus, the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, and the Congressional LGBT Equality Caucus.
Public Policy Analysis and Issues Management:
- Work with internal teams to understand strategies and objectives. Prioritize issues and focus by assessing business needs against political realities and current landscape.
- Analyze federal and state legislation and regulation for relevance to business objectives and advise accordingly. Interpret government action or potential action to business leaders and make recommendations.
- Solicit input from business partners, Employee Resource Groups and Inclusion & Diversity team to formulate company’s position on issues and organize company’s response to issues by engaging the policymaking and political processes.
- Develop and execute government affairs strategy leveraging company’s internal business expertise, political, grassroots, executive and trade association assets to ensure successful outcomes on issues.
- Identify and monitor short-term and long-term political risks and opportunities to retail industry. Keep business teams apprised of emerging policy issues and trends.
- Assist Communications & Public Affairs (COPA) team partners in developing strategy and response to high-profile issues or reputational issues if they arise.
- Devise and implement strategies related to participation in political activities necessary to support business including the management and growth of the Political Action Committee (PAC), grassroots, get-out-the-vote-campaigns, and other engagement strategies for employees.
- Ensure compliance with all lobbying and ethics regulations.
- Other assignments as related to government affairs and public affairs.
Basic Requirements (You must meet or exceed all basic requirements to be eligible):
- 8+ years of direct experience either in corporate government relations, trade association, or government position
- 8+ years of legislative analysis skills, thorough understanding of the federal legislative process and strong communication skills.
- Direct experience interacting with corporate executives, elected officials or others in leadership roles
To apply for this job please visit www.bestbuy-jobs.com.