Consumer Reports is an independent, nonprofit organization that works side by side with consumers to create a fair and just marketplace.
- ID 5122
CR is recruiting engineers, public interest technologists, and entrepreneurs to develop innovative new ways of serving consumers. You’ll be joining a dynamic team that works openly and builds out the earliest, most experimental part of CR’s innovation pipeline.
The Community Manager will recruit, grow, and steward CR’s community of highly engaged technical contributors and growing a network of tech talent around CR’s Innovation Lab initiatives. This role is key to building and managing relationships with public interest technology talent, academic/vocational institutions, nonprofit organizations to grow pathways for tech talent to CR. This role also supports the variety of programs designed to engage tech talent, such as the Innovation Lab fellows program, RFPs, and partnerships with academic institutions.
If the idea of creating and iterating in a small, growing, and highly collaborative environment (much like a start-up) but want the stability of doing so for an established, highly respected, non-profit brand, this is a position with your name on it!
Under our CRFlex program, this is a hybrid position that is eligible for remote work!
How You’ll Make an Impact:
You’ll create and ship technologies that have a real impact on the marketplace, the law, and people’s lives. CR’s work includes solutions to help consumers secure their digital devices, help them take back control of their data, make it easier to buy locally and save money, and more. In addition to the critical relationship management piece, this role will be managing a content strategy to showcase the breadth of our contributor network and celebrate the impact collaborations underway.
- You will develop and manage relationships with public interest tech researchers, academic/vocational institutions and nonprofit organizations to grow pathways for tech talent to CR.
- You will establish a mechanism that enables an active interface between CR and tech talent.
- You will manage day-to-day communication between partner researchers and organizations.
- You will enable effective “onboarding” to Innovation Lab projects and collaborations, with high quality documentation, contributor experience.
- You will contribute to the development and implementation of Fellowships, RFPs,innovation challenges and other mechanisms for tech talent to collaborate with CR.
- You will implements talent outreach strategies to promote opportunities to work with CR.
- You will manage the content pipeline/blog on Innovation Lab site to showcase breadth of work and talent connected with CR’s R&D efforts.
- You will support knowledge management and stakeholder communication around CR’s innovation efforts.
- You will work with Research Engineering to enable an effective open source strategy.
- You will work closely with Enterprise Partnership/Mobilization teams, who manage the advocacy and community organization partners, to create consistent messaging and KPIs across other CR volunteer opportunities.
You’ll Be Highly Rated If:
- You have a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in a related field (may be substituted for equivalent combination of work experience and education)
- You have 3 or more years of experience working in a project management or partnerships capacity
- You have experience working in public interest technology, digital rights, and/or startups. Experience in open source software development a plus
- You have demonostrated experience building and working with distributed, participatory, community-driven leadership, including how to build tools and infrastructure in a distributed fashion (e.g., open source development)
- You have strong interpersonal and communication skills, very detail oriented as you will be managing parallel work streams with a variety of collaborators.
- You have an understanding of the consumer movement and its potential impact on issues including corporate and state power, economic and social inequality, and environmental sustainability
THIS POSITION REQUIRES YOU TO BE FULLY VACCINATED PRIOR TO YOUR START DATE
Our Commitment to Fair Pay
At Consumer Reports, we are committed to fair, transparent pay and we strive to provide competitive, market-informed compensation. The target salary range for this position is $126,000 to $155,000. It is anticipated that most qualified candidates will fall near the middle of this range. Compensation for the successful candidate will be informed by the candidate’s particular combination of knowledge, skills, competencies, and experience.
WHO WE ARE
Our mission starts with you. We offer medical benefits from that start on your first day as a CR employee that include behavioral health coverage and unlimited sick days. There’s also generous family planning benefits and a generous 401K match. Learn more about how CR’s advocates for strong benefits on behalf of their employees here: https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/careers/landing-page/index.htm
Consumer Reports proudly seeks to build a richly diverse workforce by hiring people with a diversity of thoughts, identities, perspectives, and experiences that help advance the difference we make for consumers, and by ensuring our people experience equity and inclusion in their work lives. We encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, LGBTQIA people, people of color, and people with disabilities.
To apply for this job please visit jobs-consumers.icims.com.