A non-profit bringing together academic, civil society, industry, & media organizations to address the most important and difficult questions concerning AI.
$170,000 – $190,000
WHO WE ARE
The Partnership on AI is the leading forum addressing the most important and difficult decisions on the future of AI.
We are a non-profit that invites diverse voices into the process of technical governance, design, and deployment of AI technologies.
Our essential Partners work together across industry, academia, and civil society to understand the implications of AI advancements and ensure they benefit society equitably.
Through dialogue, insight, education, and guidance, PAI informs responsible AI solutions and identifies opportunities to address humanity’s pressing challenges.
Our vision is a future where Artificial Intelligence empowers humanity by contributing to a more just, equitable, and prosperous world. Our mission is to bring diverse voices together across global sectors, disciplines, and demographics so developments in AI advance positive outcomes for people and society.
If you are committed to a future of responsible AI and you are interested in joining the Partnership on AI in our quest, we genuinely appreciate your interest and we want to hear from you.
The Partnership on AI (PAI) is hiring a highly strategic and knowledgeable Director of Policy and Public Affairs to build a portfolio of dynamic policy outreach and public affairs to advance PAI’s theory of social change and impact. We are seeking an experienced public policy leader who has worked collaboratively with a diverse, international community of Partners to translate sociotechnical research on the responsible development of AI into evidence-based information for public policy-makers. While PAI is not an advocacy organization, the Director will be pivotal in ensuring that insights from PAI’s programs and research are shared with policymakers in juridictions globally and the public at large.
The Director of Policy and Public Affairs will develop PAI’s public affairs action plan in collaboration with PAI Staff and Partners, including the identification of policy trends, PAI priorities and jurisdictions, and Partner priorities; the development of policy briefings and convenings; the creation of an annual progress monitoring and reporting knowledge hub; and, the development of PAI positions on emerging issues. Guided by PAI’s values of equity and inclusion, the Director will engage collaboratively and consultatively with our global community of Partners and work supportively with individuals across PAI’s organization. As a member of the Executive Team, this position reports to the CEO.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Identify opportunities for PAI to engage with the responsible AI public policy community to promote the development of effective public policy
- Monitor, interpret, and analyze global policy developments related to responsible AI
- Collaborate closely with PAI research and program teams, PAI Partners and other stakeholders
- Monitor emerging topics in the media, developing PAI’s capacity to assess issues in order to proactively take positions and a point of view on pertinent issues and topics
- Work with the Director of Content and Communications to develop materials for policy outreach, publicize our work through both media relations and thought leadership development
- Work with the Director of Partnerships and Revenue to support fundraising initiatives and the creation of a globally-diverse and inclusive Partner community
- Work with the Director of Programs and Research and the Programs and Research Management Team in developing Program outputs that educate and inform policy-making audiences
- Work with the COO to oversee all operational activities related to Policy and Public Affairs, including monitoring and evaluating goals, IT, finances and budget, human resources and PAI’s organization-wide plan to embed diversity, equity and inclusion in all activities
- Present to the Board and lead the development of materials for reporting to PAI’s Board of Directors and relevant Board committees, as needed
- Organize and participate in multi-stakeholder convenings to gather information and multiple perspectives
- Build and maintain relationships with pertinent policy stakeholders across governments, PAI partners and in the broader responsible AI ecosystem
- Lead work on the translation of PAI’s work into practice in varied settings through public engagement and education, advocacy, and other mechanisms
- Coordinate response by PAI to external stakeholders on policy matters, including those made by government entities, such as RFIs
- Work with Head of Operations and Data and CRM Lead to utilize PAIs Salesforce CRM to track Policy and Public Affairs engagements
- Lead the development of annual Public Interest Progress Reports to assess progress in topics of high interest to public policy, industry and the public
- Serve as a representative of PAI in various fora on policy related topics
- Masters degree or higher in related discipline or equivalent (10+ years) work experience required
- Extensive research and work experience in tech-related public policy settings such as in governments, think tanks, research institutes, corporate policy environments, or public interest groups on issues closely or directly associated with AI/ML
- Demonstrated ability to work across sectors, including in corporate, civil society, advocacy, and academic environments
- Strong writing and verbal communications skills with an interest in and assisting with content generation on behalf of the organization
- Experienced in international, multistakeholder settings, including convening stakeholders with differing perspectives to deliberate complex issues
- Relationship and consensus-building skills, including experience working with or managing coalitions; comfort working with both policy experts and novices
- Ability to build relationships with relevant policy partners across civil society, corporate, government and academia
- Demonstrated capacity to understand and capably integrate policy across domains and contexts, including in government and public policy settings, in technology, corporate policy and corporate social responsibility, and civil society interests
- Superior research skills; ability to quickly and accurately pull key facts or statistics to support a broader policy position, tied to strong and accurate sourcing; ability to efficiently fact-check
- Experience analyzing and interpreting legislative and regulatory language
- Experience working with journalists and understanding of how to identify stories, pitch and position our work, and prepare staff in the public arena
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing equity and inclusion
- Capacity to travel, as needed
PREFERRED LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES:
- Vision – Ability to develop and articulate a vision for the future of an organization or significant initiative. Possesses a “big picture” perspective.
- Strategic Development – Demonstrates success initiating, developing and implementing large-scale project execution strategies for an organization.
- Decision-Making with Integrity – Demonstrates a high level of technical acumen and judgment required for the role; ability to make practical, realistic, data-driven and timely decisions in support of the organization’s objectives with the highest degree of integrity.
- Problem Solving – Ability to understand, analyze and interpret complex problems and develop appropriate action plans to achieve sustainable solutions. Engages team in collaborative problem solving to develop well- informed plans to achieve results.
- Hands-On – Unafraid to roll up their sleeves to contribute to the success of an emerging organization.
- Entrepreneurial Drive – Desire and proven ability to have an impact. An energetic self-starter with a strong work ethic and sense of urgency, capable of thriving in a high growth environment.
- Collaborative Style – A team player, who works effectively in a team-based organization, collaborates cross- functionally across multiple stakeholders, exercises influence diplomatically and builds trust and credibility at all levels. Someone who builds consensus and achieves agreement on key priorities.
- Relationship-Oriented – Ability to successfully influence, build credibility and work effectively with a diverse range of stakeholders: senior leaders, policy makers, partners, Board members, and externally with key stakeholders. Able to synthesize divergent views and coalesce all constituencies around a shared view or plan.
- Builds Trust – Able to be transparent by being authentic, conveying trust and communicating openly while involving key stakeholders in decision-making.
- Equity and Inclusion – Fluent with the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion including a commitment to racial equity and anti-racism.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States or Canada; we are unable to sponsor visas at this time
- Must be fully vaccinated against the Covid-19 virus as per PAI’s Employee Policy
- We know that research has shown that some potential applicants will submit an application only when they feel that they have met close to all of the qualifications for a role—we encourage you to take a leap of faith with us and submit your application as long as you are passionate about working to make real impact on responsible AI. We are very interested in hearing from a diverse pool of candidates.
- PAI offers a generous paid leave and benefits package, including: Twenty vacation days; three personal reflection days; sick leave and family leave above industry standards; high-quality PPO and HMO health insurance plans, many 100% covered by PAI; Dental and vision insurance 100% covered by PAI; up to a 7% 401K match, vested immediately; pre-tax commuter benefits (Clipper); automatic cell phone reimbursement ($75/month); up to $1,000 in professional development funds annually; regular team lunches & reading days; opportunities to attend AI related conferences and events and to collaborate with our 100+ partners across industry, academia and civil society. Please refer to our careers page for an updated list of benefits.
- PAI is headquartered in San Francisco, with a global membership base and scope. This role is eligible for remote work within the United States and Canada with no requirement to be located in San Francisco. We do not offer visa support for this position at this time.
PAI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment in all aspects of employment, including recruiting, hiring, promoting, training, education assistance, social and recreational programs, compensation, benefits, transfers, discipline, and all privileges and conditions of employment. Employment decisions at PAI are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications.
PAI will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or similar laws.
The Partnership on AI may become subject to certain governmental record keeping and reporting requirements for the administration of civil rights laws and regulations. We also track diversity in our workforce for the purpose of improving over time. In order to comply with these goals, the Partnership on AI invites employees to voluntarily self-identify their gender and race/ethnicity. Submission of this information is voluntary and refusal to provide it will not jeopardize or adversely affect employment or any consideration you may receive for employment or advancement. The information obtained will be kept confidential.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply please send a cover letter and resume by January 31, 2022.
Only complete applications will be reviewed.
2. Cover Letter
To apply for this job please visit partnership-on-ai.breezy.hr.