The MGGG Redistricting Lab develops and maintains Districtr, an open-source web app for drawing districts and mapping communities (github). Districtr uses Mapbox and its web API in its mapping modules. Districtr has grown over the last three years from mostly in-house use to a peak usage level of over 3000 new maps drawn by members of the public every week.
MGGG seeks a full-time Senior Web Developer for a medium-term project (3-4 months) to restructure the Districtr web application for high performance and durability at scale. This will involve both replicating the client interface and developing a new administrative interface for contributors.
Main duties will include:
- Build the new Districtr codebase, with unit tests and documentation;
- Attend weekly meetings for updates and code review;
- Communicate, collaborate, and interact with our team of developers, researchers, and outreach specialists.
- At least 3 years industry experience (5 years preferred) as a full-stack web developer;
- Proficiency with AWS API Gateway, S3, and Lambda;
- Database experience with Mongo/MongoDB or equivalent;
- Experience writing unit tests with xUnit or equivalent;
- Experience with Git, GitHub, and continuous integration practices.
Desired Qualifications (a non-exhaustive list of possible assets for the position)
- Experience handling geospatial data, especially Census data, using geopandas/shapely and pandas;
- Experience with Mapbox;
- Demonstrated interest in social and racial justice.
The compensation budget for this project is a total of $50K-$80K over the expected 3-4 month period, depending on experience and on the negotiated scope of work.
Letters of interest are accepted by email to [email protected]. Please include a CV/resume with links to relevant projects, with your GitHub username if applicable.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com