Trade association for the magazine media industry
About the Organization
As the primary national trade association for the consumer magazine media industry, MPA – The Association for Magazine Media represents over 500 magazine media brands that span a vast range of genres across online, mobile, video and print media. Members of our industry inform, inspire and entertain more than 90 percent of all U.S. adults through the digital and print magazine titles they trust and value most. MPA educates policymakers and advocates for the magazine media industry’s efforts to provide professionally researched and edited content across multiple channels.
About the Position
The Senior Director of Policy will develop the association’s federal and 50+ state agenda on advocacy for digital, consumer marketing and advertising policy work. The Senior Director of Policy will use their digital expertise, policy background and experience with consumer protection issues to effectively engage with members, industry cohorts and policymakers. The position has room for professional growth and reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer.
The Senior Director of Policy will serve in identifying priorities, researching and developing policy solutions, and communicating/advocating desirable policies to policymakers as well as developing internal messaging and communications, and external positioning of key issues.
The Senior Director of Policy will:
- Develop appropriate policy positions on key issues and initiatives impacting MPA members, including in the areas of consumer protection, technology, data privacy, taxation, and advertising, as well as other emerging topics.
- Monitor legislative and regulatory developments that affect MPA policy issues, conduct legislative research, manage the preparation of appropriate materials, and identify opportunities for legislative engagement and action.
- Provide persuasive and insightful regulatory comments that advance the association’s objectives and are shaped with member input.
- Oversee on-the-ground lobbying resources to drive successful policy outcomes.
- Identify opportunities to participate in or build multi-industry coalitions.
- Manage communication materials, including background on MPA issues, summaries of pertinent legislative and regulatory developments, and external MPA communications.
- Engage, communicate and lead MPA members in the preparation, collection, and analysis of industry information.
- Lead membership committee discussions on key policy developments.
- Develop and successfully execute legislative and regulatory strategy, providing political context and knowledge of changing federal and state political environments.
Professional Experience and Qualifications
- 5-10 years working in public policy, preferably with experience in the publishing, consumer marketing, technology, privacy, or advertising space.
- A solid understanding of the legislative and regulatory process, and an expertise related to business needs as related to public policy is preferred.
- Experience advocating before legislative and/or agency offices and tailoring messaging to specific audiences.
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills. Excellent writing skills are critical, including the ability to synthesize, distill, and communicate complex ideas to a nontechnical audience.
- Have a proven history of dependability, trustworthiness, and being a team player.
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree; advanced degrees or certifications are a plus.
The position is currently remote. Longer-term, outstanding remote candidates will be considered, but basing the position in the Washington, DC office is preferred. Travel requirements vary by legislative season but would never exceed 5 percent of a given month.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
MPA offers a competitive benefits package.
Please send resume and cover letter to Emily Emery at [email protected]
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com