Website New America
New America is a nonprofit, nonpartisan public policy institute that invests in new thinkers and new ideas to address the next generation of challenges facing the United States. New America’s Open Technology Institute is a non-profit research and advocacy organization that works at the forefront of technology and policy, and our mission is ensuring that every community has equitable access to digital technology and its benefits. New America’s Higher Education program works to ensure a higher education system that is accessible, affordable, equitable, and accountable for helping students lead fulfilling and economically secure lives.
The Open Technology Institute, in consultation with New America’s Higher Education Initiative, seeks a senior policy analyst who specializes in the intersection of privacy, security, and data use. In this role, you will focus principally on ways to protect student data privacy and security while preserving the ability to gather insights about higher education outcomes for particular schools, programs, and populations, which would inform broader work on data use and sharing. You will work with the education data community at large to develop and advocate for practices that fit that goal. You will have the opportunity to work with technologists and lawyers from OTI, as well as experts in post-secondary data analysis from the Education program, as we approach these important questions. You will also interact with a wide variety of other organizations in DC, both within the privacy and security community as well as the higher education policy community.
Responsibilities will include:
- Advising organizations working on data issues in higher education.
- Developing policy proposals to address potential issues and concerns.
- Developing relationships among the higher education community data partners.
- Developing relationships between the education data community and other policy areas, e.g. Big Data & Fairness, Cybersecurity, etc.
- Participating in the Postsecondary Data Collaborative, including attending the monthly meetings.
- Keeping abreast of the larger federal conversation around administrative data and the privacy and security implications, including work around evidence-based policy making.
- Identifying guidance and methodologies for privacy and security, as they relate to the higher education field.
- Producing specialized and general interest writing and organizing events to contribute to the public conversation around privacy and security in higher education policy and what the intersections are within the broader privacy and security issue space.
- A Masters degree, JD, or equivalent experience, in public policy, education, information science, computer science, or related field.
- Experience balancing the potential privacy and security harms of large scale data with the benefits that come from statistics (administrative, synthetic, and others) and machine learning analysis.
- Hands-on understanding of techniques for mitigating those privacy and security harms. CISSP and/or CIPP certifications are welcome but not necessary.
- Experience with the unique challenges of higher education data collection and use is welcome but not necessary.
- Experience working across groups, convening, organizing, or other similar work is also preferred but not necessary.
Submit a resume, cover letter, and a writing sample that is accessible for a general public audience of under 1,500 words. Please be sure to include in your cover letter where you heard about this posting.
The salary range for a Senior Policy Analyst is $77,580 – $116,370. New America offers a highly competitive benefits package that includes health care, dental, and vision coverage; a generous retirement plan with an employer contribution of 7% eligible after the first year of service, and dollar-for-dollar match of up to 3% of the employee’s salary eligible immediately; 20 days of paid time off (combined vacation and sick days) in your first year of employment and 30 days of paid time off in subsequent years; 12 weeks of paid parental leave; 10 paid Federal holidays; and an office-wide closure between Christmas and New Year.
New America is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our mission, our employees, and our communities. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination. This is a bargaining unit position.
To apply for this job please visit newamerica.applytojob.com.