Placing computer scientists, engineers, and other technologists as tech policy advisors to Members of Congress.
TechCongress is a startup non-profit excited to grow in the coming years. We’ve got great staff and advisors working to bridge the gap between government and the technology community. We are a small and nimble team and flexibility is central to our work culture! We are nonpartisan and work with a diverse set of political voices, and do not take positions on issues. We are building a new generation of technology leaders, and support our staff and fellows with professional development, networking, and freedom to tinker and test new ideas. Above all, we are focused on adding value—to our people, our institutions and our society. We are proud to place diversity, equity, and inclusion at the center of our work, piloting new techniques to build a more inclusive and representative Congress and Washington.
We hope you’ll apply. We are accepting applications on a rolling basis.
As TechCongress Operations Manager, you will:
Manage day-to-day operations & finance for TechCongress, including:
- Train new staff, Fellows, and contractors on organizational policies including reimbursement procedures;
- Support our relationships with new and prospective funders, including communications and reporting about current and potential new programs;
- Maintain accurate financial and other records;
- Manage bills, payments, and reimbursement processes;
- Be the primary liaison to accountants and other vendors;
- Coordinate staff and contractor benefits and payroll;
- Manage annual audits and other financial compliance;
- Create regular budget reports;
- Maintain and evaluate insurance coverage and recommend changes as needed;
- Stay current on finance and tax-related laws and rules for nonprofits;
- As part of a larger team, support activities of our fellowships, helping our fellows succeed in their transitions to Washington and Congress.
Attributes and experience you bring to the role:
- You pay attention to details: you love to make sure things are in order and double-check for mistakes.
- An interest in learning and refining processes to better serve the needs of the organization.
- 3-5 years of nonprofit administrative, finance or bookkeeping experience.
- Familiarity with budgeting and reporting.
- An ability to work with people who offer diverse political perspectives.
- An interest in the mission, how Congress functions, and tech policy may make the work more interesting, but is not expected.
Note to applicants: imposter syndrome can prevent great candidates from applying for positions where they could succeed. We encourage you to apply if you think you would be great at this job, regardless of whether you meet all of the qualifications listed.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
TechCongress values an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our mission, our employees, and our communities. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and fellows and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential. We are proud to
All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment and fellowship, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.
Salary & Benefits
Benefits include: A combined pool of vacation and sick leave of 20 days in year one, then 30 days for all years following; great health insurance; short and long-term disability insurance; life insurance; a 9% retirement investment (with no match required); relocation assistance up to $2500; an annual continuing education stipend of $1500. Business travel for conferences and recruitment, if desired, including to San Francisco, Silicon Valley and other tech hubs. Additionally, we are closed between December 25-January 1 and observe all federal holidays.
This role is positioned to grow.
To start, the role will be mainly remote. In March of 2022 (or later, depending on the state of the pandemic), we anticipate this role going into the office 2-3 days a week.
To apply for this job please visit techcongress.forms.fm.