At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers trillions of requests per month. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare have all web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was recognized by the World Economic Forum as a Technology Pioneer and named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
What You’ll do
Cloudflare is one of the most dynamic and innovative companies providing services on the Internet. As regulation of the internet across a number of subjects and by a number of jurisdictions is exploding at a rate previously unseen in the history of the Internet, Cloudflare is working to be a leader in that movement. We’re looking for a new team member who can help foster our unique corporate philosophy and approach, in which the security and privacy of our customers are paramount. This role is ideal for someone who is a proactive self-starter and strategic thinker, who has a thirst for knowledge and continued growth, all while working as part of a great team.
We are looking for an exceptionally talented, energetic and friendly attorney to join our Policy team in Washington, DC. You will work on some of the most complicated, and rapidly evolving legal issues in the world, and help us develop real world answers to those challenges. The perfect candidate is passionate about the law, passionate about technology and can channel that passion into solving problems in a fast-paced environment.
- Review of the various compliance requirements in cyber security and intermediary liability space, assessing how those legal requirements apply to our products, and outlining our responsibilities so policies can be amended accordingly
- Determining how to respond to requests we receive from an increasing number of law enforcement organizations, courts, and regulatory bodies around the world on a variety of subjects
- Helping design consistent policies for the Legal Compliance and Trust & Safety teams to implement to respond to incoming requests in a way that responsibly supports our Company values and mitigates risk to the company
- Consult with members of our product, engineering, and Trust & Safety teams to understand their challenges and respond accordingly
- Explain our policies and compliance with legal obligations to internal teams and external organizations, including regulatory bodies and customers.
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- JD degree with strong academic credentials
- Admitted to practice law in at least one U.S. state
- 4+ years relevant experience with the federal government, at a Vault 100 law firm, in-house, or with a relevant policy organization
- Detail oriented, well organized and technically-adept
- The ability to manage multiple matters / project for multiple teams
- The ability to work in a team, with lawyers and non-lawyers, to establish effective solutions efficiently and in an amenable manner.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills\
- Ability to draft documents, policies, messages and anything else in a very precise manner, while still being concise and digestible for non-lawyers.
- An ambitious mindset that enables you to successfully work independently with little guidance, but also to use good judgment and call out issues when needed.
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers–at no cost.
Project Athenian: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person’s, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.
To apply for this job please visit boards.greenhouse.io.