The Senior Manager, Public Policy, will have be responsible for developing and executing public policy and regulatory advocacy objectives and priorities for Amazon’s telecommunications policy at the federal level. The Senior Manager will represent Amazon before the Federal Communications Commission, and other relevant federal agencies, to establish, enhance, and preserve key Amazon corporate relations with FCC officials and their staff, Administration officials and their staff, and other policymakers.
In helping to set the public policy and advocacy agenda for Amazon’s telecommunications issues, the Senior Manager will work collaboratively and transparently with others in public policy, and business units to ensure alignment between business priorities and public policy goals. The Senior Manager will assess and communicate potential government activities back to the business, develop mitigation or enhancement strategies and positions, and help coordinate external advocacy efforts, outreach programs, and key initiatives in concert with business objectives. The Senior Manager will be responsible for effectively educating key agency officials, and their staffs on telecommunications and related issues.
As appropriate, the Senior Manager will work with others on the public policy team to facilitate high-level meetings between executives and key stakeholders, including regulatory and industry association and alliance partners, to promote and advocate the company’s public policy objectives. The Senior Manager will work with others in public policy to determine, maintain, and staff appropriate corporate membership opportunities in industry associations and political organizations.
Key Strategic Objectives
Working in coordination with Amazon’s public policy team, the Senior Manager, Public Policy, will work to obtain and maintain regulatory flexibility for Amazon’s products and services impacted by telecommunications policy. S/he will work closely with the managing Senior Manager, Public Policy, and others, to represent Amazon on various telecommunications issues before the FCC and related agencies to preserve, establish, and enhance communications with policymakers on issues related to our business.
Focus and Deliverables for first 12 Months
· Work collaboratively and transparently with Amazon’s public policy team to ensure alignment between core business priorities and public policy goals.
· Anticipate challenges/obstacles our business could face as the public policy landscape evolves.
· Ensure policymaker awareness of Amazon’s products and services innovations.
· Start to effect change and drive policymaking that will ultimately benefit our customers.
· Help manage and coordinate external advocacy efforts, outreach programs, and key initiatives in concert with business objectives.
· Help facilitate high-level meetings with key stakeholders, including regulatory, industry association, and alliance partners to promote and advocate the company’s public policy priorities.
· Help determine and staff appropriate corporate membership opportunities in industry associations and political organizations, and help ensure appropriate utilization of outside consultants
A BA/BS degree and at least 10 years of relevant experience with – and a keen working understanding of – policy making, including the mechanics of the regulatory and administrative policy making process and procedures, effective lobbying techniques, and collaboration with other companies and trade groups.
· A law degree or advanced degree is not strictly required but would be a strong plus, as well as some experience working with the particular policy issues surrounding telecommunications issues.
· Highly effective oral, written, and interpersonal communications skills; demonstrated ability to effectively and comfortably interact at the highest corporate and political levels.
· Maintain highest personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality, and integrity, with strongest professional reputation in the industry.
· Self-starter with proven track record of successfully working with a wide array of functional groups across organization and culture.
· Ability to understand how technical language in legislative and regulatory proposals could affect corporate operations, identify business implications, and synthesize policy documents for internal customers.
· Ability to influence, negotiate with, and persuade others is required. Must be flexible and demonstrate strong judgment/decision-making skills, and political acumen.
· Demonstrated ability to build and foster effective relationships and networks with others.
· Candidates will be able to demonstrate their experience through work within government, companies, consultancies, trade associations, or equivalent organizations.
· Prior experience with steep learning curves, and the ability to effectively communicate complex information to a wide variety of audiences.
Ideal Candidate Profile
The ideal candidate will have experience interacting with the the Federal Communications Commission, and substantive experience or knowledge on issues related to telecommunications and digital commerce.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
To apply for this job please visit www.amazon.jobs.