Spend, send, and receive money the way you want, simply and securely, with PayPal.
Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 375 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
Reporting directly to the Head of Government Relations for EMEA based in Luxembourg, and working very closely with the rest of the GR EMEA team and business leaders in London and Dublin, the Head of Government Relations (GR) for the United Kingdom and Ireland is responsible for providing strategic GR counsel for PayPal’s exciting business in the UK and Ireland as well as drive an external engagement strategy in both countries and the EU reflecting the public policy priorities of PayPal. This person will work with national and local governments, industry associations, academia and merchants to shape the policy environment, protect PayPal’s reputation and help PayPal grow its business in the UK, Ireland and the rest of the EU.
Head of Government Relations UK and Ireland (m/f/d)
The Head of Government Relations UK and Ireland will:
- Lead Government Relations for PayPal in the UK and Ireland, with special focus on, but not limited to, financial services and the digital economy;
- Represent Government Relations within the PayPal UK and Ireland leadership teams;
- Be the direct prime interface for Government Relations with the PayPal UK and Ireland Country Managers and other UK-based PayPal business leaders;
- Lead on select EU files and when needed, help on EU or MEA dossiers;
- Supervise and guide a more junior colleague based in London;
- Provide the PayPal GR team and business unit executive team with excellent legislative, executive and policy advocacy within allocated geographic area;
- Help identify GR risks and opportunities and contribute to development of short-and long-term GR strategies;
- Monitor legislative and executive/regulatory initiatives impacting PayPal in the UK and Ireland and in the EU for select files; lead specific GR campaigns (e.g. on payment security);
- In particular, lead GR outreach and relationship management with relevant authorities in close cooperation with other support functions (e.g. Legal, Compliance, Risk, Payments, Privacy…).
- Participate in national trade associations, representing PayPal as necessary.
- Draft and contribute to public policy and thought leadership papers and other relevant content for distribution and publication.
- Establish and maintain relationships with key EU, national and local officials.
- Provide insightful political analysis and guidance to PayPal.
- Coordinate with internal teams on cross-functional projects.
- Some travel to Dublin and around the rest of Europe from time to time. Expect travel to Luxembourg, Brussels and Frankfurt as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent academic qualification, with law, economics and/or political science; a focus on financial services an asset.
- Government relations experience in the area of payment services, global financial services or technology.
- Experience gained in a public organisation or in the private sector in Government Relations, Public Affairs, Government and Industry Affairs, or similar, should ideally include an EU focus.
- Exposure and conversancy with the FCA, HMT, ECB, EBA, Finance Ministries and influential third-party organizations are highly relevant.
- Ability to work with great authority in a fast-paced and pressurized environment with limited day-to-day hands-on management.
- A strong commercial sense and the ability to act as the bridge between the political and business environments.
- Rigorous thinking, unquestionable integrity and appetite to constructively challenge established positions; some creativity and ease to deal with ambiguity.
- Most desirable candidates will be very flexible team players, able to consistently exercise sound judgment, have significant degree of self-motivation, be very resourceful and have ability to collaborate pro-actively with other functions with independently.
- Excellent communicator and inspiring advocate.
- Strong understanding in government relations, institutional dynamics and public policy in the UK, Ireland and the EU.
- Solid know-how in the area of financial services, payments, ecommerce and technology.
- Fluent English is a must, other languages are an asset.
We’re a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at [email protected]
To apply for this job please visit jobsearch.paypal-corp.com.