- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience
- 7 years of experience managing communications and writing in the media, government, or non-profit space
- Experience with creative storytelling, proactive press outreach, and building relationships with journalists and stakeholders
- Experience with communicating on complex legal and policy-related topics; experience as on the record spokesperson
- Familiarity with a range of policy and ethics issues in the high tech sector, such as content regulation and copyright
- Ability to work calmly and maintain good judgment in fast-paced, high-stress environments
- Ability to think, plan, and execute on multiple projects simultaneously, and to influence stakeholders
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
About the job
As a member of the Global Communications & Public Affairs team, you will work cross-functionally to help communicate with journalists and other thought leaders; devise specific communications materials and campaigns; engage in face-to-face meetings with commentators and other opinion formers; and develop print and web-based material supporting these campaigns. We’re looking for great communicators who can understand complex issues and explain them in person and also via well written, simple blog posts, FAQs, video scripts and more.
In this role, you will help educate the press and YouTube community around policy and copyright issues, including planning events and campaigns to explain our policies and systems.
We help inform and educate users, advertisers, partners, opinion leaders–and our own employees–about the benefits of Google’s products, our distinctive company culture/values and our approach to the big public policy issues of the day. You are quick-witted, entrepreneurial and intellectually curious. To succeed in this role, you are willing to try new things and can manage numerous projects with tight deadlines. Things happen quickly at Google, and to do great work, you need to be an enthusiastic team player who can work cross-functionally with partners across PR, comms, marketing, product and beyond.
- Work closely with the YouTube policy teams to distill complex concepts into coherent and easy-to-understand communications material, including regular outreach to press around policy updates.
- Devise and execute public relations campaigns to drive awareness around YouTube’s Community Guidelines.
- Develop and maintain close, productive relationships with key journalists and influencers in tech, security and business press, as well as teams across Google.
- Plan events and campaigns that offer more transparency on our policies to our community, users, and press.
- Work one weekend a month “on-call” to manage incoming press inquiries.
To apply for this job please visit careers.google.com.