The Portulans Institute (PI) is an independent, non-profit, non-partisan think tank based in Washington DC. Founded in 2019, PI aims to develop cross-community knowledge and dialogue on how people, technology and innovation contribute to sustainable and innovative growth, and inform policy-makers by producing independent, rigorous metrics and data-based research. PI also collaborates with private sector leaders to drive a business agenda that invests in people, technology and innovation for a prosperous and common future. We are seeking an enthusiastic, highly motivated Lead Researcher to join our team!
This position is a unique opportunity to play an important role in PI’s research. As a Lead Researcher, you will contribute to PI’s work by assisting in the development of world-class reports. The role includes the development of composite indicators and indices as well as the collection and analysis of data underlying composite indicators for PI’s indices and databases.
Compensation: Negotiable based on experience.
Location: Remote for the foreseeable future.
Status: Position is Part-time or Full-time.
Reports to: Leadership.
Timeline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Collecting, evaluating and processing incoming data from a variety of sources to ensure data quality and accuracy, make necessary adjustments as appropriate, and prepare relevant datasets.
- Contributing to the methodological development and implementation of different composite indicators, including defining lists of indicators to include, aggregation methods, inclusion/exclusion criteria, and robustness checks. To enable this work, the incumbent will keep abreast of the new data and technological developments, such as advanced data analytics, including Big Data and Artificial Intelligence
- Provide substantive input into the development of county or regional reports, in close collaboration with research teams at the sponsor State/Organization and at Portulans Institute.
- Provide technical advice to States/Organizations on the collection of statistical data underlying composite indicators and on the development of sub-national/sector-specific composite indicators.
- Provide technical support for the outreach activities of the Portulans Institute and provide substantive input for the dissemination activities associated with specific research projects including the provision of guidance regarding data processing and advanced visualization for presentation and dissemination.
- Conduct research to reveal patterns that can guide improved planning, policymaking, and investment for governments.
- Monitoring new data and technological developments as they arise.
- Provide technical support for the Leadership team and Associates where necessary.
- Perform other relevant duties as requested.
- U.S. Work permit required for U.S. based candidates. Candidates from foreign locations are also encouraged to apply.
- At least 3 years of experience with research, production, and development of data.
- Master’s student or PhD Candidate or recent graduate in Data Science, Statistics, Policy Analysis and Management, Economics, Public Administration, or related field, with developed quantitative and analytical skills.
- Excellent communication skills and fluency in English
- Experience in composite indicator development and data analytics.
- Detail-oriented, with the ability to support multiple complex projects simultaneously.
- Highly motivated, collaborative and flexible team player with strong organizational and project management skills.
As a Lead Researcher, you will gain exposure to a global network of thought leaders from government, international organizations, the private sector, civil society and academia. This position provides the opportunity to use various methodologies and theories of practice and apply your data analysis skills to work being shared across a cross-cultural community of partners.
Please email your CV, a short cover letter (300 words) and a writing sample to [email protected] with the subject line “Lead Researcher Application [last name]”. In your cover letter, please include information about your availability (hours/weekdays). Incomplete applications will not be considered. We will be in touch if your skills, experiences and motivations are a match for PI.
Learn more at https://portulansinstitute.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com