The Internet Law & Policy Foundry (The Foundry) announces the first annual hackathon writing competition, “Into the Metaverse.” Tech CEOs everywhere have touted the metaverse to be the future of the internet, while skeptics’ claims range from asserting that the metaverse of everyone’s dreams is still in the future, to citing concerns about cybersecurity and privacy.
Either way, immersive technology represents the beginning of a new phase of the internet, one that is still evolving, and one that policymakers around the world are still trying to understand. It also brings new and unique issues related to privacy, cybersecurity, trust & safety and surveillance.
This writing competition presents an opportunity for students and early-mid-career professionals to present their ideas about regulating potential issues related to the metaverse and/or metaverse technologies.
Participants are encouraged to address and analyze potential issues surrounding the metaverse and present legal, social, economic, political or technological solutions to these issues. The paper should also in some way grapple with trust and safety, privacy, economic viability, technological innovation and/or consumer need as it relates to the metaverse and metaverse technologies.
In this light, we solicit submissions that focus on, but are not limited to the following issues:
- The incentives or capacity of actors or institutions that operate within the ecosystem of the problem.
- The fiscal and political implementability, as well as the overall practicability under real-world conditions.
- The impact on communities of color and/or other marginalized communities.
- A novel approach to addressing relevant issues.
- 20 June 2022, 9 a.m. ET – Competition Opens
- 31 August 2022, 11:59 p.m. ET – Submission Deadline
- 26 October 2022 – Results Announced
Up to three winners will be selected:
- First Prize will receive $1,500.
- Second Prize will receive $1,000.
- Third Prize will receive $500.
Winning papers may be selected for publication on Foundry platforms.
Winners will participate in an interview with the Foundry which will be published on our platforms and will be automatically considered for Foundry membership in the next application cycle.
Register for the competition here, and please direct any questions to [email protected].
About The Foundry
The Internet Law & Policy Foundry (The Foundry) is a collaborative collection of early-career Internet law and policy professionals passionate about technology and disruptive innovation.